Kantorei Barmen Gemarke

For over 75 years, the Kantorei Barmen-Gemarke has been renowned for its refined choral music.

The Kantorei was founded in 1946 as the church choir of the Evangelical Reformed parish of Barmen-Gemarke in Wuppertal by Helmut Kahlhöfer, who directed it until 1987.

Following Manfred Schreier, Wolfgang Kläsener and Volker Hempfling, Alexander Lüken took over as the Kantorei’s conductor and artistic director in 2018.

The choir’s concert repertoire encompasses all major works of the classical choral literature as well as contemporary works and world premieres.

During their monthly cantata church services, the Kantorei presents a wide range of sacred music for choir and organ.

In 1984, the Kantorei Barmen-Gemarke was made an independent institution within the church district of Wuppertal and the Evangelic Church in the Rhineland region.

The Kantorei Barmen-Gemarke enjoys an international reputation and performs throughout Europe and around the world.